Apr 15, 2011

Friday finds ~ Brass Love - with updates :)

Found this beautiful brass and silver punch bowl (or may be dessert/ kheer serving set :)) 



Exotic isn't it!!!!! The seller described it as a mid century (1950-60) set from India. I am researching on the period and style (looks more like a middle east inspired set to me)..what say?

An update:
Thanks everyone for the love! With so many co-enthusiasts pouring in their comments and ideas, I thought updating this post with some information would be the best thing to do.

This bowl could be from India (according to the seller). But influence is Old world middle eastern/ persian. :). I say this with all due respect to Indian style and handicrafts. We (Indians) cannot deny inspirations and influences we have had from artisans across the world. Most of the etched brass / bidri work etc. , we see in India now, are said to be inspired from work which dating back to mughal empire (1526 AD - 1803 AD) and little before the mughal period( 1200 AD - 1500 AD). During the sultanate (reign), artisans were brought from persia to work and transfer skills to Indian artisans. Hence, the Persian (middle eastern ) influence on our handicrafts (from that period and later).

Art and architecture in the Indian subcontinent, prior to mughal reign (1 AD - 1200 AD), belong to various styles for example, Sangam era aesthetics (in the south), and Rashtrakuta (north western and central parts), Kakatiyas, Guptas, etc (in the Gangetic plains and Deccan plateau). Our history is very rich when it comes to patrons of art, crafts and architecture

Indian craftsmen have known to exchange ideas with every civilization existing during their times, all thanks to extensive trade and political dynamics (for example Greek invasion (180 BC - 1AD)- who can forget Alexander), and migrations from southern Siberia into GandharaKashmirPunjab, and into parts of Western and Central India,GujaratMaharashtra and Rajasthan.

I believe that our furniture, art and architecture have influenced rest of the world as much as we have been inspired.  Hope this information clarifies as to why most of our indian handicrafts look similar to this. . I would definitely like to know more (and feel free to send in corrections if any). 

Thank you for liking the post and stopping by to comment..love to see co enthusiasts share their views and ideas

15 comments:

  1. Amazing find, curious about the vintage and the area where it comes from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So is that a punch bowl? I would think so because of the shape of the ladle....but I can totally see those goblets being used to serve ice cream (I have ice cream on my mind these days---don't ask! :D)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Thanks for sharing the punch bowl set. By the looks of it I would guess that it was made in India in the 60s. There are no marks on the piece. There is an identical set on ebay but the goblets do not have the silver plating and it did not have the ladle. It was priced much much higher then what I listed it for. The seller claimed it had been appraised for over 1000.00 but they didn't have any more information on the set then what I have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely find... But doesn't it look very Indian ?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anpu..the seller has it for 78 on etsy...link is under the picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anu, G, An(p)u, Mozart, Emreen

    Thanks everyone...most of this type of etched brass or bidri work which we see in india now date back to mughal and pre mughal period. Artisans were brought from persia to work and transfer skills to indian artisans. Hence, the heavy persian (middle eastern ) influence on our handicrafts which date back to the post mughal invasion. Prior work done in india were belonging to the Sangam era asthetics. Hope this information clarifies as to why most of our indian handicrafts look similar to this. This bowl could be from india though. But influence is Old world persian. :-)..All due respect to indian style and handicrafts, we cannot deny inspirations and influences we have had from across the world.

    Thank you for liking the post and stopping by to comment..love to see co enthusiasts share their views and ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh! This is lovely. My little brass tea pot has tiny goblets like these. Maybe I should go and take a closer look and report the finding to you to help your research.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sudha: thanks for the updates and I tend to agree with you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sudha, Thank you for sharing that information. It all makes sense now. I just loved the set when I saw it and knew there would be someone out there who would appreciate it as much as I do. It just needs a good home. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was googling German brass punch bowl set, as I have one that I am trying to sell. It was my grandmother's, so I thought it was German. However, your image popped up under the results and I'm so happy, because this is exactly like the one I have AND has given me much more needed information. I hope you don't mind me "linking back" to this page, so that a prospective buyer can see it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you stopping by Wendy.. I'm so glad my painstaking research n a equally long blog post of help to you... Do share a pic if your set...handicrafts are special and every piece made turns out to be unique.... Glad that u linked back...!hope r set finds a great home ... And thq for such an encouraging comment

      Delete

Thank you for your comment. You made my day!

adding pinterest script 3. Changing the Position of the Pin it! button The cool thing about this code is that you have some freedom over where the Pinterest button for Blogger will go over the image. Take a look at the code that you just copied and pasted into the HTML for the word 'center'.