Feb 18, 2012

House Beautiful : At Home with Petra and Lukas

A few months ago, hubby and I met a very cute couple at an estate sale. Lukas and his lovely wife Petra were there to buy stuff for their home. We spoke briefly and got to know that we shared our love for vintage homes and furnishings. In our conversation, I told them how crazy I was about the 50's neighborhood they lived in :). The Northcrest neighborhood in Atlanta is known for its beautiful homes from the post war, mid century era.  (I even told them I would love to visit their house sometime. And I was secretly hoping that they dint freak out hearing this :P)

Fast forward six months and hubby and I landed at their doorstep to pick up a beautiful side table...Craigslist Karma!! :-). As soon as we saw their house from the curb, we were in awe. I wasted no time in requesting Lukas for a home tour for DE. I am so glad they obliged. 


Every corner, furniture piece and accessory has been carefully chosen and reflects all love and effort which has gone into making this split level mid century modern home. I could go on...but the tour will be much better with appropriate inputs from Lukas and Petra :)...Over to them
-----------------------------


We have found our home about 6 years ago. We fell in love with its open airiness and unique, mid-century a architecture.





Our 1968 split-level with pickled tongue-and groove ceilings, dark-stained exposed beams, and white crushed-marble brick is a typical Northcrest home.




We value our mid century modern homes in the hood and we even more value our friend and neighbors. This is what makes Northcrest great neighborhood.



We did not have much furniture or accessories, when we moved in, but slowly we built a little collection of vintage and mid century modern furniture and accessories. 



We loved the decorative art and arts and crafts in general, but after we moved into the home we concentrated on the modern furnishings and  slowly upgraded here and there.


The Kitchen




Outside, our landscaping plan is based on native plants and sustainability, and is inspired by vintage Better Homes and Gardens magazines and Sunset books. 





The backyard features a woodland garden, spacious deck and an area for a firepit.


Long shot of our back yard


It was a lot of studying, reading, some missteps and lots and lots of time, but I'm happy we made that choice.
 -------------------
Thank you Lukas and Petra for letting us into your world.  I am yet to get back into reality :)!! Happy weekend everyone


Images courtesy: Lukas and Petra
More about the Northcrest neighborhood: northcrestmodern.com A dream source for planning my future home :) 

8 comments:

  1. They have done a spectacular job decorating their beautiful home. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of you while writing this post :)

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful home--love how they've stayed true to their style. and the backyard is just dreamy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was drooling all the while I was in their house :)

      Delete
  3. What a lovely, bright and airy home. Miss Atlanta and the fabulous backyards!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely house, so aptly done up, it is such a pleasure just seeing it here, I cannot imagine how wonderful it must have been to visit this house in person.
    Good feature Sudha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's def a lovely home Sudha every corner is so perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the rug, Sudha. Actually, I just love the whole place. That is definitely up there on my list of dream homes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. You made my day!

adding pinterest script 3. Changing the Position of the Pin it! button The cool thing about this code is that you have some freedom over where the Pinterest button for Blogger will go over the image. Take a look at the code that you just copied and pasted into the HTML for the word 'center'.